Sunday, May 24, 2009

Galen Rowell

Galen Rowell was born in 1940 in Oakland, and raised in Berkeley, California. He is a nature photagrapher and taking photographs was his way to share his high and wild world with friends and family. In 1972 he became a full-time photographer after selling his small automotive business. Less than a year later he did his first major magazine assignment, a cover story for National Geographic. In 1984 he received the Ansel Adams Award for his contributions to the art of wilderness photography. In 1992 Galen received a National Science Foundation Artists and Writers Grant to photograph Antarctica.Galen Rowell and his wife, Barbara, were killed in a plane crash near the Bishop airport on August 11, 2002

Galen Rowell's photographs reflect his childhood exposure to wilderness and adventure. When he was little he was always exposed to nature. Annual summer pack trips into the High Sierra from the age of ten led to roped climbs in Yosemite at sixteen and a hundred first ascents of new routes in the mountains of California by the time he was thirty. I think Galen Rowell's pictures capture beauty and prolongs what would normally be a rare moment. He captures the beauty of nature by showing things we would normally not notice.



I really like this picture. I think is beautiful especially on the mountains in the background. They look like they're glowing.
I also like how colorful the photograph is. It shows the beauty of when your in the middle of nowhere and how undisturbed everything is. This picture doesn't have an exact location but it was taken in the hills above Biship, California.



I also really like this picture, it has a mysterious quality about it. I think that the fog and the snow combined together is what makes is so mysterious. But one thing that i think is interesting is the light on the cliff in the upper left corner. It sort of shows in a symbolic way that there is a glimmer of hope in all this fog and snow. Overall i think it's a beautiful photograph.



This is an amazing picture. This ancient city has been photographed several times by diffent photographers but I think that Galen Rowell really captures the beauty of this city. I think that the sky in this photograph adds to the beauty and gives just the right light to make this photograph amazing. Also i think it's amazing just to see this deserted ancient city and to capture it in such a lovely way is amazing. This photograph was taken in the mountains of Peru.



This isn't one of my very favorite photographs but i still really like it. I think that the vibrant colors of the rainbow are fantastic. Also how the rainbow is directly hitting this mini city(?) is an amazing amount of luck. Although it's not one of my favorite photographs it's still really beautiful.



This is an unusual photograph because there aren't many trees out there that look like this one. It's really cool that he captured such an unique tree. This photograph is also really cool and interesting because it doesn't really look like a photograph but more of a drawing.

No comments: