Thursday, April 2, 2009

Robert Frank: The Americans

Robert Frank was born on November 9, 1924 in Zürich, Switzerland. His parents were Jewish. Because Switzerland remained neutral during WWII he escaped from being killed by the Germans. Frank learned photography from a man that lived down the block, his name was Hermann Segesser. At the age of 18, he became Segesser's apprentice. Later Frank learned how to use large format cameras and controlled lighting in a studio. In 1947 Frank left Switzerland and moved to New York.But soon he started to travel around the world and didn't come back to New York until 1957. He published many books but m Frank's most famous book that was published was The Americans. When The Americans was first released there had been some question about the book. It seemed that the book showed more of the negative side of America, altough it became his ost famous book. '



I'm not sure why i like this picture but i do. I think what i really like about the picture is the detail it shows. The detail of the pavement and how shiny it is just draws me in to the picture. I also like how you can see the car in the back. It makes the picture look almost mysterious.



I think this picture is fantasitic. I think the contrast is amazing and i just think that it's a beautiful picture. There's not much i can say about it other than it's amazing. I just think that the way he causght the emotions in both of them is just simply amazing and it really shows what America used to be like. Sure people then probably didn't like it but now it just shows some little bit of what America used to be like.



This is the cover of his book and i think that it's pretty interesting. Robert Frank likes to include an american flag in a lot of his pictures and this one is really interesting because the flag is covering the one man's face. I'm still not sure of what it's suppossed to mean and i've tried to come up with different messages that Frank wanted to give with this picture, but i just haven't come up with one yet. But it's still a fantastic picture.



Although this picture isn't in his book The Americans, i still really like it. People used to think that his pictures had a very gloomy feeling to them that i don't think that this one necisarily has. I also really like this picture because it makes you wonder what she's looking at.



This picture i think is a little scary just because of the freaky santa claus in the back. This picture really shows the emotion of the waitress and it shows that she has had a bad day. Frank is really good at capturing people's emotions and i think he did a fantastic job in this photo.

1 comment:

Mr. Patteson said...

Nice job Sarah. I like the thoughtful comments on each image and your bio/background is good. Next time I'd just like to see more commentary about his work in general before you get to the individual images.